Mechanical Engineer, San Antonio, Texas
FluidOil is seeking a mechanical engineer to join our global engineering and project management team as it delivers VHTL projects and process package units around the world.
The role will be based in San Antonio, Texas but the successful applicant must expect frequent travelling to Mexico and must be willing to re-locate to Mexico for an initial three-month placement. The ability to speak Spanish would be an advantage but is not essential for this role.
The initial three-month project will see the successful candidate working as part of a team developing, operating and optimising our VHTL demonstration plant in Mexico.
The role of a mechanical engineer includes undertaking the duties of a general process design engineer as well as a more hands on role of plant operations engineer. This integrated role is particularly important to FluidOil as we seek to deploy our technology globally. As well as work as a mechanical engineer, the role involves:
- Working on pilot plants to test theories and designs
- Using test data to optimise designs
- Working with client engineers to integrate systems into supply chains
- Process Package Unit commissioning
- Feedback of designs and operations
- Overall: Head of Engineering
- Ensure that they and the company maintain a safety-first approach to all work
- As a mechanical engineer, contribute to: Mechanical design and integration, HAZID and HAZOP, Fabrication oversight, Commissioning of equipment, Operations optimisation, Technology development / R&D
- Perform mechanical engineering to develop FEED package(s) internally up to approved for design P&ID’s including equipment data sheets, equipment mechanical drawings, GA drawings, sized equipment list, budget quotes, bid tabulations. Safety design, HAZOP and all process areas to provide a cost estimates
- Input to project management including plans and schedules
- Undertake and verify cost estimates and development of plans for units
- Be aware and understand the company business drivers and how these can be influenced by innovative designs and minimum cost solutions
- Be conversant and knowledgeable with respect to current legislation and standards e.g. ASTM, API Codes if applicable, and develop in-house codes and standards, HS&E Regulations, EU Directives and North American Regulations
- Be compliant with the development of company engineering procedures and compliant with industry, international Codes and standards
- Operate, maintain and calibrate existing and new equipment
- Develop skills to attain charter status
- Be an active member of any team to which they are assigned
Job descriptions cannot be exhaustive; the post holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
FluidOil values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity.
- Previous experience of working in a technical role, ideally within the oil and gas industry.
- Minimum BSc/BEng/MEng /PhD in Mechanical Engineering or similar with a 2:1 or better; studies should have covered the following:
- Piping Design
- CAD Design on Autocad (SMART and PLANT)
- Stress Calculations
- Structural Calculations
- Project management techniques
- Ability to speak Spanish would be an advantage but is not essential for this role
- Preferably a member of IMechE with a desire to attain charter status
Candidates are required to demonstrate that they possess at least a majority of the following:
- Computer literate using Microsoft Office applications
- Experience with Ms Visio, 3D Autocad, SMART and PLANT modelling including walk though
- Experience with producing equipment data sheets, equipment mechanical drawings, GA drawings, equipment lists, budget quotes, bid tabulations, safety design, HAZOP and all process areas to provide cost estimates
- Literate in CAD, including Autocad
- Experience with HAZOP techniques and awareness of SIL/HAZID etc
- Some experience with industrial processes, preferably in the Oil Process Design area
Candidates are required to demonstrate that they possess at least a majority of the following attributes:
- A flexible and disciplined attitude to work
- Willing to work outside normal working hours
- Willing to work away from home for extended periods
- Committed to the provision of excellent technical support
- A creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to manage complex tasks, meeting tight deadlines
- Ability to organize, manage time and prioritise effectively
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to produce professional documents and have good English writing skills
- Proficiency in other languages, particularly Spanish, would be an advantage
The role will pay a market rate salary plus a performance related bonus scheme.